Monday, June 4, 2007

The Power of a Vision

I just read an article in Real Simple magazine (my fav) called What's in Your Future? about the power of having a vision. If you can visualize what you want, you can get it. You know...it's motivation, which is something I have been severely lacking lately.

This article really got me thinking about what my vision would be...what it would actually look like and how being able to actually envision it clearly might help me get and stay motivated to reach it.

Here's some steps given in the article:

4 steps to fulfilling your wildest dreams:

1. Find your vision - Answer this question: If absolutely anything were possible, what would I love to happen in my life, my work, my relationships?

2. Build the castle - Flesh out and color in your vision of what the best outcome would look like. Write down every detail: what you'll be doing, what you'll be wearing, whom you'll be with, how you'll feel. Ask for inspiration from close friends and family members.

3. Set the date - Write down the exact day, month, and year when you will have brought your vision to life. We're not saying, "About six months from now"; we're saying, "Friday, November 9, 2007." This isn't the time to be vague.

4. Commit - Reaching your castle is not something you're just thinking about. So try the exercise on the following page to help you make a detailed plan - and follow it.


Here's the exercise from the article:

Once you've identified your vision and committed to achieving it by a certain date, you'll need a detailed plan to reach your goal. Here's a method that I use to help my clients fulfill their vision. Imagining that you've already achieved your goal. Then work backward from that point in time, asking yourself step by step how you got there, until you're back where you are right now.

Take a blank piece of ruled paper. On the top line, write your vision (that is, the answer to "if absolutely anything were possible, I would..."). Put a deadline date next to it. On the bottom line, write today's date.

Now ask yourself these questions: "What would have happened just before I reached my goal? What did I do right before I got there?" Write the answers on the second line, below your vision.

Now proceed line by line down the page, asking yourself, "And what would have happened right before that to make it possible?" Fill in the answers as you go along, and keep writing until you reach today's date. Don't be tempted to start at the bottom and work your way up. It's much harder and less productive-believe me.

Repeat the same exercise using different answers. This will give you more than one path to take and different options to pursue if there's ever a bump in the road.

Finished? This is your map, your plan. Follow it with boldness, joy, and the anticipation that you will succeed.


In the article, the writer shares her vision of running down the beach holding the hands of her future grandchildren. Her vision is so clear and defined and she wants it so badly that she stays motivated to stay on track with her plan to get there. Her plan is to not only be alive when her children have children, but to be healthy and in shape enough to run on the beach with them. As she is making choices in life, she sees her vision and lets that guide her.

I really liked this article and I'm going to go through the steps and do the exercise she outlines to see if it helps me develop a vision. Anyone care to join me in this?

No comments: